REPORT OF THE SECRETARY GENERAL
“THE FEDERAL ISLAMIC REPUBliC OF COMOROS”
TO THE TWENTY-SIXTH SESSION OF THE ISLAMIC CONFERENCE OF FOREIGN MINISTERS
OUAGADOUGOU – BURKINA FASO, 28 JUNE – 1 JULY 1999
As it is already seeking a resolution to the issue of the Comorian Island of Mayotte which should return to the Comorian archipelago, the Islamic Federal Republic of the Comoros is, once again, confronted with a situation jeopardizing its future. For several months, now, the Islamic Federal Republic of the Comoros has been facing a grave crisis characterized by the decision, on the part of the leaders of Anjouan Island, to secede from the Comorian archipelago.
2. The international community is deeply concerned by the anarchic situation prevailing in the Anjouan Comorian Island caused by the strives among the opposed factions of the separatist movement.
3. The Eighth Session of the Islamic Summit Conference solemnly urged all Comorian parties to avoid any action that could jeopardize the security of the country and to work for the safeguarding of the territorial integrity of the Islamic Federal Republic of Comoros.
4. The 25th ICFM renewed this appeal and expressed its support of the OAU action to restore the central authority to Anjouan Island.
5. The OIC Secretary General urges Member States to uphold the efforts deployed by the Central Government to speed up the development of the archipelago in a way as to reduce the manifestations of regional differences which are seen as the main underlying cause of the unrest. He also called upon Member States to be fully aware of the dangerous situation obtaining there and to extend their political and material support to that sisterly country.
6. In the face of the worsening political and economic situation in the Republic of the Comros and following contacts between the President of the Comoros and the Chairman of the Islamic Summit, the OIC Secretary General sent a letter to all the Heads of State of the Organization urging them to grant aid and support to this brotherly country to enable it to start its economic recovery.
7. The Twenty-sixth Session of the Islamic Conference of Foreign Ministers reiterated its call and expressed its support to the actions undertaken by the OAU aimed at restoring the central authority over the Anjouan Island.