18 October 2000
Madam High Commissioner for Human Rights,
Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen,
I wish, in my turn, to add my voice to that of the speakers who preceded me to the floor and sincerely hail the convening of the present special session of the Human Rights Commission for the consideration of the extremely serious situation with regard to the massive human rights violations perpetrated by Israel, the occupant force, in the occupied Palestinian and Arab territories.
In this connection, I wish to extend my profound gratitude to you Mr. Chairman, as well as to Madame Mary Robinson and to all the Commission members for having organized this special session at the joint initiative of the Member States of the League of Arab States and the Organization of the Islamic Conference. May I here, with your permission, extend a particular mention of gratitude to these two groups, whilst at the same time expressing deep appreciation for the virtually unanimous support extended to this initiative by the Commission’s various members whom I wish to thank profoundly.
If I have taken the floor, it is with the particular intention of expressing my full support to the declaration made, on behalf of the OIC Member States, by H.E. Mr. Ambassador Hamidon Ali, Permanent Representative of Malaysia.
As a matter of fact, since the assault and provocation committed on the 28th September 2000 within the precincts of Al-Aqsa Mosque, by the head of the Likud Party, Ariel Sharon, under the protection of the Israeli troops, Israel continue to commit unprecedented brutal massacres against the innocent Palestinian civilians including children, and to carry out massive demolition of their homes and other property in defiance of the international community through its deliberate disregard of the Security Council resolutions and the various international protection conventions, on the one hand, and through flagrant and massive human rights violations, on the other.
The Secretary General of the Organization of the Islamic Conference, Dr. Azeddine LARAKI, promptly and firmly condemned these criminal acts and aggressions perpetrated by Israel, which has not desisted from defying in this way the collective conscience of humanity, and especially the sentiments of Muslims and believers all around the world.
In view of this serious situation of violations of human rights of the Palestinian people and the fierce brutality of the Israeli forces, the present session of the Commission, has a duty, with the existing momentum of consensus, to send to Israel a strong and clear message, namely:
– To put an immediate end to the Israeli aggressions and massacres perpetrated against the Palestinian people.
– To lift immediately the seal established around the Palestinian cities and towns.
– To withdraw the Israeli forces, tanks and pieces of military equipment to the pre-28th September positions.
– To fully implement, in the occupied territories, the provision of the Fourth Geneva Convention whose contracting parties should be called upon to convene a new meeting to assess that implementation in the light of developments on the ground.
– To set up and rapidly activate an international commission of enquiry with a view to establishing the facts on violations of human rights in the occupied Palestinian territories, including Jerusalem, and proposing the necessary measures to prevent the recurrence of a similar tragedy in future.
– And finally, in pursuance of this objective, to involve on the ground all the appropriate mechanisms of the High Commission for Human Rights.
While reiterating here the condolences and sympathies of the OIC Secretary General and the whole Organization of the Islamic Conference to the Palestinian people and its leadership, I should like to conclude my statement by recalling the unwavering position of the OIC, which is to steadfastly support the struggle of the Palestinian people and its right to freedom and independence in a State of their own with Al-Quds Al-Sharif ( Jerusalem) as its capital.